About>>
About me...
Misc...

Costuming>>
Diaries...
Wardrobe...
How to...
Galleries...

Misc>>
Links...
Guestbook...
forums...
Webrings...

Home...

 

Corset
warning: new website at www.frosk.dk

Once upon a time I made a corset using the corset pattern generator. Unfortunately, it didn't fit very well, I didn't feel that a strapless corset would give me full bust support. Still: If I am going to make clothing, a corset is a must. Therefore. I chose to make an effigy(ish) corset boned with hemp cord, as I have seen others do on the net (See the Link section at the bottom.). If there is someone who can't wait until i am finished to read about this, check out the links sectoin.

So. The plan is making a corset out of hemp cord and some heavy offwhite cotton curtains I found at the attic. I am nottrying to reconstruate the effigy corset, but "get inspiration". The reason is that the effigy corset is so widely descibed at the internet, so i found this to be the easiest way to make a renaissace corset.  as boning i am planning to use hemp cord, even though i have some problem imaging that this will make the tabs tiff enaugh to controll eventual body fat...

And then I got started. I looked at this pattern site, but didn't understand a lot. Therefore I chose to make a compromise between the effigy at the picture and the pattern of the old corset from the "the corset pattern generator".

westminster-corset.jpg (16476 byte)

korsmonster.gif (6745 byte) Here you can see my corset pattern. All other people who have tried hemp cord boning claim that hemp shrinks corsets. Believe me, they are absolutely right. So - to be able to controll the shrinking, I made the pattern in three pieces. Two fronts and a back. Then I can make both the fronts and adjust their size before sewing them together
I started by making the back part. I boned it completely, and sewed the back sides onto it. Originally I made one single front part as in the original corset, but decided that it was a bad idea, because of the shrinking, the corset would have got at least a 15 cm (6") gap at the front. The soulution was to make to front sides. Still, pulling hemp cord trough narrow channels take time... Some time will pass before I am finished.
To achieve the period rigid shape of the corset front, I made two fairly broad pieces of plastic. I inserted thiese broad pieces of boning to achieve an effect rather similar to the one of a busk without giving myself backaches. The plactics are stiff yet flecsible. On the inside of the eyelets, I inserted a cable tie to prevent the two sides of the corset front from gapping.   bening.jpg (28024 byte)
By now, the corset is almost done. I have yet to hem the edges with thin leather, but it feels rather comfortable when worn. Read about how I adjusted the size of the corset.

nestenferdig.jpg (32077 byte)

 

 

 

 

                     

Contact the Frog